Skaugum is situated right beneath Skaugumåsen in Asker, with a wonderful
view of the Oslo Fjord. Nearby is Semsvannet (freshwater lake), and the
surroundings ar very popular for hiking. The history of Skaugum goes way
back to medieval time.
Skaugum was a gift from
count Wedel Jarlsberg to Crown Prince Olav V when he married
Princess Märtha in 1929. The main building was totally destroyed by fire
new building was designed by Arnstein Arneberg (famous Norwegian
architect) and was completed in 1932. King Olav lived at Skaugum till
1968, when he turned over the premises to Prince Harald and Princess
Sonja (now King and Queen).